Thanks to Mike Godfrey
The PhoneDialer library class provides a cDialer class that lets you dial a phone number. You can either pass the Dial method the phone number to dial or you can make it display a dialog where you can enter the phone number.
The DialNumber routine uses an MSComm control to open the modem and send it instructions. For example, it:
- Sets the control's settings to "9600,N,8,1" (9600 baud, no parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit)
- Sets the PortOpen property to True
- Sends the control the attention string ATV1Q0
- Sends the control the ATDT string (attention, dial tone (as opposed to dial pulse))
- Sends the control the phone number
When the user picks up the phone or wants to cancel, the program sends the control the hangup sequence ATH and sets PortOpen to False.
Note that these codes are standard for many types of modems but the exact codes may differ for your modem.
See the code for more details.